Note: This review is part of a larger review series on smart dog collars. We recently put together a buying guide for GPS dog collars that compares this one to many others on the market. Click here to check it out! Thanks for reading!
Like many smart dog collars currently on the market, the LINK AKC Smart Dog Collar tracks your dog and also has some simple activity tracking features. Sorta like a FitBit for your dog! Its app is easy-to-use and the collar’s extra features are quite unique. The LINK AKC comes in many sizes and is one of few smart dog collars where the device comes with a collar. It’s also the only smart GPS dog collar that requires you to purchase the monthly service charge.
LINK AKC Specs
The LINK AKC can be worn comfortably by dogs over 10 pounds. If you have a dog smaller than that, you should consider looking at the Whistle 3 because it can fit pets 8 pounds and over. It’s important to note that, like many of the other smart dog collars we’ve reviewed, the LINK AKC is a tracking device that attaches to a collar. The device itself is not embedded into the collar but it does come with a nice leather one. The collar also features a small LED light that can be toggled on and off via the app. Also, it has a small speaker that emits a noise that can be used for training purposes. This, too, is controlled by the app which we found to be very sleek and easy-to-use!
Like all other smart dog collars we’ve reviewed, the LINK AKC smart collar works best with a service plan and LINK AKC requires you to purchase a service plan. The cost varies between $6.95 and $9.95, depending on the duration of your commitment. The service plan allows the collar to be tracked beyond your WiFi network. It’s understandable that LINK AKC makes you buy the service plan because the collar really isn’t useful without it (the Nuzzle is the only one that doesn’t have a monthly service plan). In addition to using the AT&T network (you don’t have to have an existing AT&T plan for the collar), the collar offers lots of other benefits like a 3-year limited warranty and a size guarantee. The size guarantee means that you have one year to replace the leather collar that comes with the tracking device if your puppy outgrow the collar. It’s called the Puppy Guarantee and you can read more about it here.
LINK AKC Smart Dog Collar Sizing
This smart collar is one of the only ones in a variety of sizes. Generally, though, it’s only for dogs 10 pounds and above. The LINK AKC is available in sizes XS-XL. For this review, we used the size small which was actually one oz. heavier than the rest – even the XL! The Whistle 3 is only 0.92 oz. This really isn’t a big deal considering this size includes the collar and tracking device built into one, unlike the Whistle 3.
The Best Smart Dog Collar App?
The LINK AKC comes with the tracking unit, collar, base station for charging, the carrier (or sleeve for extra small). The robust app features activity level recommendations based on your dog’s age, breed, and size. The app covers a lot more than the tracker. It can also consolidate vet records and reminders for your pet and will time stamp photos with its virtual scrapbook. We didn’t really find these feature useful, but hey – it’s still a neat option.
Is the LINK AKC Smart Dog Collar Worth It?
It’s probably the most durable smart dog collar that we’ve checked out so far. However, the downside is that monthly fee adds up quickly. The Puppy Guarantee is a really cool feature but definitely doesn’t apply to all dog owners. If you’re still trying to figure out the best one to buy – check out our 2019 GPS Dog Collar buyer’s guide. If you want to stick with the LINK AKC, can click here to check it out on Amazon.
- LINK AKC SMART DOG COLLAR: The only GPS and activity tracker you will ever need to keep your dog safe, healthy, and happy. Works with iOS and Android. Have questions or need support call 866-772-6055 * Only works in the U.S.A.
- SERVICE PLAN: Link AKC is like a smart phone for your dog & requires service plan connectivity to allow data to be transmitted. Includes an extended warranty, a size guarantee, and access to the Pet Poison Helpline, a 24/7 animal poison control center
- SIZE GUARANTEE: Don't stress about which size to order, LINK AKC will exchange your collar for free just call Customer Service at 866-772-6055 *Not recommended for dogs under 10 lbs.
- LOCATION TRACKING NATIONWIDE IN UNITED STATES: Know your dog's location with fast and accurate GPS tracking enabled by the AT&T cellular network (Service plan required). Be alerted if your dog leaves designated safe zones
- ACTIVITY MONITORING AND SOUND TRAINING: Activity goals are customized by AKC to your dog's age, breed, and size to allow for accurate daily activity monitoring. Remote turn-on sound to help with training.